Wednesday, March 13, 2013

What I Learned Today - No seriosly, I learned this shizz today!

I'm working on a project that is pretty awesome and one of the components is a number sequencing situation.  Since we don't want to offend anyone, we had to identify numbers that are unlucky or offensive around the world. No srsly!!

I started researching and spent about a half hour to get the main numbers.  Here's the feedback I provided (realtively verbatim) to my agency folks so that we could update the list.




Okay, I’m going to pull out something a little weird here, so bear with me.

  •   Remove all instances where there is a 666 in the sequence.  I found about 6 or 7 of those.
  •  In China, these numbers are unlucky: 4, 5, 6, 9. Noting that many purchasers will be from China, I want to remove these numbers (if possible). I cannot highlight them on the list, so I’m hoping the randomized system allows you to put in what you want to omit.
  • Remove 167, 169, 1679 as they are also insulting in the culture (sound like dirty words when said out loud)
  • Remove 250, 5354, 7456, 9413, 748 – for a variety of reasons these are unlucky.
  • Remove 13 in combinations. This is a worldwide unlucky number.
  • Remove 39 from combinations. It is highly unlucky to Afghans


Honestly, I’m not intentionally trying to be difficult, but want to ensure that we don’t inadvertently offend anyone.

Go ahead and laugh… I am.
G

No comments: