Monday, November 26, 2012

Has Four Wheels and Goes

I recently bought a new car, a VW Jetta who I have named Johann. He speaks with a high German accent, is very punctual and loves to sing beer drinking songs. (Yes, I give my cars personalities. I do the same with my plants. It's my thing.)

Johann has a true European shift where reverse is all the way over to the left and up. This is the exact opposite of Hubster's truck (whose name is Fruck and has very little personality. Quite stupid actually.)  So driving between the two of them can get confusing. Take this petite tête-à-tête as an example:

Me: (getting behind the wheel of Fruck) Wait. Which way do I rewind this again?
Hubs: (confused, sipping on frappachino) Wha?
Me: Rewind. How do I rewind the Fruck?
Hubs: You can't rewind the Fruck. 
Me: Yes you can. It's the opposite of Johann. Which way is that?
Hubs: (laughing) Oh you mean REVERSE!
Me: (not laughing) That's what I said.
Hubs: No, you said REWIND, two different things. 
Me: Well it makes more sense than reVERSE! I didn't sing a verse to begin with, so I don't need a RE-verse. I drove. I didn't really WIND anything to RE-wind. Though I did drink some WINE recently so that could make closer sense. 
Hubs: Stop. Just stop.
Me: I guess what it really should be is reDRIVE. I'm driving, now I'm driving the other way, I'm re-driving!
Hubs: Right and back.
Me: Wha?
Hubs: Take the shift and go right and back.
Me: Oh. Why didn't you say that to begin with?
Hubs: It's going to be one of those days, isn't it?
Me: (triumphantly pulling out of the parking space) Yup!

No comments: