Friday, June 24, 2011

Disney Fail

My hubster didn't grow up in an environment where a trip to Walt Disney World was even something you could dream about in your sleep; why even dream about something that would never, ever happen unless your parents won the lottery? I, however, grew up with every last wish fulfilled - trips to Australia, skiing in Vermont, jetting off to Holland and snorkeling in Antigua - yes, I was spoiled and I didn't truly comprehend that until I chose to link my life with X, my best friend.

With our mutual love for Harry Potter, I started planning a trip to Orlando once the Universal park was announced. Obviously, including Walt Disney World was a no-brainer since it's the most magical place on earth. So I started saving, couple dollars here; bonus there, scrimping on groceries and clothing, so that I could pay for the trip without his knowing. Finally, I had enough ducats together and with his 41st birthday approaching, planned our trip on the sly.

Using my lunch hour and in the wee, small hours of the morning, I pulled everything together. I was so proud of myself for not spilling the beans (as I am a notorious bean spiller) until the letter arrived... which brings me to the email I sent Disney today (crafted by the wonderful Leslie.)

Dear Disney (yes, I've been conditioned to believe that, when I talk to one Disney employee, I'm addressing the whole company and spirit of Walt Disney),

Your current ad campaigns, showing excited children being surprised by magical Disney vacations, really hit home with me. My husband didn't have the kind of childhood in which fun, family vacations, let alone surprise trips to Walt Disney World, were the remotest of possibilities. I had already been saving money for a while, planning do something fantastic to surprise him for his upcoming birthday. And Disney's advertising gave me the perfect idea. Or so I thought.


Using money I had squirreled away from a year and a half, I planned a surprise Walt Disney World vacation for my husband's birthday. Not only would he get the spectacular surprise I had hoped for, but he'd also get another chance at every kid's dream. I was careful to use my work email address and cell phone number to make sure to keep everything a surprise. I was so excited! But when my husband checked the mail a few days later, the surprise was completely ruined by a large, colorful envelope with the mouse himself featured prominently.


Really, Disney? When I buy a book online from Amazon.com, I'm offered an option to indicate that the purchase I'm making is a gift. And they don't even have a big ad campaign promoting themselves as the ultimate surprise gift provider. But Disney, whose ads suggest the greatest surprise a kid of any age could ever receive, doesn't think to ask if my vacation purchase is a surprise or give me a heads up that they are going to be mailing a big, blue package to my home? The surprise is ruined and I am heartbroken.

So there you have it. I feel that Disney needs to do something... what do you think?

1 comment:

Darcey said...

I am so sorry. Although I love Disney, sometimes they really suck.