Monday, June 27, 2011

Music Monday, something similar although wholly unlike Angry Birds

Birds. Perhaps I’m only noticing them more than usual due to the book I’m reading, (Divergent by Veronica Roth – pretty flippin sweet read, check it out*,) but it feels like my avionic friends are everywhere right now. I’ve got a couple of finch families living above my water lilies, there’s a blue jay who hangs out in the backyard, bunch of those black ones with weird fan tails that hunt through my grass for worms… and Barry, the suicidal bird.

Barry lives in the oak tree in front of my house (the one across from Sammy the squirrel - who is doing great by the way.) I’m not sure what kind of bird he is, there’s nothing distinctive about his coloring or size, he’s just a bird. What makes Barry so interesting is that he is completely suicidal. I mean it, 100% manic-depressive, put him in a white jacket and padded cell, this bird is cuckoo (pun intended.)

The moment you start your car he flies down and lands in front of your tires, then waddles around for a little bit and once you start to move he’ll barely make it out of the way before you run him over. I’ve been in my kitchen looking out at the street and seen him swoop down and try to get run over by the recycling truck. I’m serious, he’s got some serious thrill issues.

Therefore, I cannot help myself but to make this song my Music Monday pick. I double dog dare you to try and get this awesomeness out of your head.


* In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

No comments: