Wednesday, March 23, 2011

ROUND EIGHT - Curren$y v Ham Sandwich


Curren$y

myspace.com/flyspitta


Right, I don't know that this really fits the competition of best band name from SXSW, but I chose it for some reason. I blame Taylor Conway. Why? Because I can. He's got the swagger, the personality, attracts bears to honey, winks at women, and the hair. Eff you Taylor, I heart you but I secretly want to put you into a Dexter episode.

1) Elevator Music - Our first Rap Artist in the bracket. Nice rhymes; this song is the highest rated Curren$y tune... nice, but nothing that makes me want to tear off my clothes and go agro.

2) Top Of the Money - this ain't no mix tape...yeah, clearly. What's the deal with rappers wanting to puff themselves up talking about money, jets and women, but they have no play? If I was a black woman, I'd be pissed with the amount of cursing and degradation. I can't say the 'N" word , but I also happen to spend my days with black men who don't say it either. So... I don't know what to say about that.

3) Life Under the Scope - I like the melody, the rhymes remind me of Mos Def. I can get behind this song. Would play at at party once the crowd its shitfaced and ready to groove.


Ham Sandwich

myspace.com/eathamsandwich


Our first Irish competitors, I don't know if they get the Mama Cass joke or not. Lovely competitors, I must say. Been around for a while, perhaps SXSW is their break into the US market.

1) Keepsake - Am in love. Or I am drunk. "If you don't understand, then I'll try to paint a picture..." God damn, I want to run my hands all along this woman and feel her sparkly goodness. Her voice is like truffle oil on my potatoes. I could wrap myself into this melody. Where was this when I was wandering alone the streets of Chico wondering '"What the fuck am I doing?" It's a perfect soundtrack tune to my twenty year-old self. That long drive from Uni to San Diego, the road I have taken many times - am embarrassed that "One Headlight" is what reminds me most of those trips .

2) Click, Click.. Boom! - I always wanted to have a face that could support Betty Page bangs. It was just not meant to be. Nor is my desire to ever be a rocking vocalist for a band. But this song makes me happy to be a hipster, or whatever the hell I am. This song is making my shoulders thrust forward and shimmy my snoobs. It's good, yo. Download, COMPLETE!

3) Ants - Slower. Sweeter. Contemplative. I want to hug my brother for some reason. It all comes down to emotions and memory; for me, this is a moment of silent succulent happiness. (For additional awesomeness, download "Never Talk")

AND THE WINNER IS...

Surprise surprise.. Ham Sandwich. Congrats. To my three readers, head over to iTunes and get some tuneage for your drive home.

Congratulations guys, you are still in the running to become the BEST BAND NAME AT 2011 SXSW! Will happily eat a ham sandwich in honor of your victory today.

Up Next: Lars and The Hands of Light versus Friendly Fires

No comments: