Wednesday, March 16, 2011

ROUND TWO: Worm Ouroboros v. Gobble Gobble


Worm Ouroboros
myspace.com/wormouroboros

Why does ouroboros sound familiar? It’s the snake (or dragon) that eats its tail, exemplifying a beginning with no end, or and end that comes back to the beginning. (I prefer mobius strips, but that’s my continuum issues to work through.) Worm Ouroborus, a band from San Francisco/Oakland*, appears to be two women who play a variety of instruments including the glockenspiel (told you that thing is turning up everyewhere!)

1) Goldeneye – Starts kind of dark and twisty. Like a movie where you see the back of a woman staggering, shuffling down a hall in a dirty cotton sleep dress; the light overhead flickering on and off, something is falling from her fingertips in slow motion but you can’t tell if it’s a pen or a bloody knife. Then a woman’s haunting voice comes into play… seriously, these guys are going to be at SXSW? This song is over 7 minutes long and I’m already depressed at 5. It definitely has a place in music

2) Winter – Now I’m in a spaghetti western where someone is about to sacrifice themselves to save the young kid (insert stereotypical sad/redemption scene here.) The melody is simply haunting, moody and making me want to throw myself from the highest mountain I can find. I’m sorry, I can’t listen anymore. This is for a certain individual in a certain mood. Maybe an art student working on their thesis as it relates to birds dying by running into glass.


Gobble Gobble
myspace.com/leatherjowels

Is it fair for me to say that this band is probably going to win only so that I don’t have to listen to Worm Ouroboros ever again? Hell, even the name is fun: Gobble Gobble.
Don’t suppose any of my three readers is familiar with the fun little song that goes: “Gobble gobble gobble gobble Quack quack quack! Turkeys go gobble and ducks go quack!” No? Didn’t think so.

1) Lawn Knives – interesting start, oooo glad I’m wearing headphones! Fun interstitials of electronic awesomeness (I swear I heard Super Mario Bros theme in here somewhere!) Even Adame came over from his desk to hear this one.


AND THE WINNER IS...
Okay, I could listen to more songs, but I think Gobble Gobble is the hands-down winner of this match up. It’s just too freaking easy. That being said, I will look forward to the battle they will face against “Or, the Whale” in the upcoming brackets. Congratulations guys, you are still in the running to become the BEST BAND NAME AT 2011 SXSW! (I'm going to do some googleys to find out where I can see you live. Gobble Gobble, you had me at "hello".)



NEXT UP: Spyder Baybie Raw Dog & 2% Muck versus Lars and The Hands of Light

* Suppose we could say the NorCal Bay and be done with it?

2 comments:

Dude_Here said...

Holy crap, this debate moves so quickly, and I have been feeling extra grumpy this week since I'm not in Austin and everybody everywhere seems to be talking about it. Stupid twitter. But I definitely wanted to put my weight behind "Or, the Whale" as I have been recommended by someone to check them out who's in the know to recommend such things. Dude saw them in Chico, no less, and since he's a big Dr. Dog fan, as am I, I am inclined to take his advice. So there you go, bracket challenge, all bow before "Or, the Whale"!

Jesus, can you imagine how awesome it would be to be at SXSW right now, St Patrick's Day and all, hanging in Emo's Backyard drinking Jameson's on the rocks out of a plastic cup and seeing whoever the fuck is playing today that will be huge 2 years from now? Oh well, you know what they say...Texas is the Reason.

G said...

Dude, you should just move out here and be done with it.

I shall notate your desire for extra weight to "Or, the Whale" but you should alert G Funkadee as to what song I should listen to first. (their bracket is in Round 12, so we got a ways to go before then.)