Saturday, March 19, 2011

ROUND FIVE: Say "No!" to Architecture v. Slapping Purses



Oh my three readers, how you have stuck out your thumb and hitched a ride on this mediocre adventure... color me surprised. It's Saturday night, I'm exhausted from the day of revelries; why not indulge in some "pain medication", sup on some fino vino, listen to some tunes and get through the next round, shall we?*

Say "No!" to Architecture
myspace.com/saynotoarchitecture


First, why would we say no to architecture? Are we meant to live in mud huts? And isn't that, on a vary base level, still architecture? I defer to my artsy friends on that one. Digress. SN!TA is apparently their reduction for those who enjoy brevity. (Ya hear me Dude? Cause I knows The Dude approves of brevity from multi-syllabic phrases to go with his White Russian.)

1) Pulsar Traxxx - What the frak? Is this a sonogram? I've been with the most awesome infant in the world this week (rock on Madeline Ann) so perhaps my brain is just conjuring random thoughts on this. But really, it's either a helicopter or a sonogram or aliens trying to beat us at Boggle. No words, no changes in chords, just repetitive thumpa thumpa wave thumpa wave whish whish whish.

2) Psychic Teens - Same as the previous, maybe with a few more UFO fly-bys. (Ditto for the song "Cocaine 'eh" with the exception that it sounds like there are multiple people working on an orgasm in that one.)

3) Fall in Love with Tape Mountain - Wow, a guitar! Drums? Actual chords? Its. The. Same. Thing. I'm. Bored.


Slapping Purses
myspace.com/slapping purses

Experimental Electronica from Minnesota. Apparently, I've inadvertently matched up two bands who like DigDug, roll twenties, and are allergic to sunlight. I think I need another glass of Bob Mondav - hold please... fuck it, I grabbed the bottle.

1) NothingTastesAsGoodAsBeingThinFeels - How about, I'dRatherBeChubAndEnjoyGouda? Right, (pressing play... two minutes elapse...) That was, um, interesting.

2) Crumpzone - Srsly? Is this the back beat from a 1985 Casio keyboard? In comes some sort of scratchy, bleeps and riffs. Hell, I'm no wunderkind, but I don't know when I would ever listen to this willingly.

3) I'm Gonna Be So Pretty - Vocal distortion to the point of ludicrousness. Are Slapping Purses really playing at SXSW or are they set up in a bathroom at the train station? Even drunk hobos would throw tomatoes at this shite.

AND THE WINNER IS...
Neither. I think they both suck balls.** This bracket is thrown out. Please vote in the comment section who should replace them in the running to face the winner of Amusement Parks on Fire and Or, the Whale. Wesley Willis is more talented than these guys.

Up Next: She Keeps Bees versus Trampled by Turtles
(We'll jump down in the bracket competition until this argument has been decided.)


* For the record, The Dude says he votes SN!TA and Bueno threw her lot in with Slapping Purses.
** And for my three readers; two of which have balls, the other likes to say balls.

1 comment:

G said...

It has been determined that Lars and The Hands of Light will be brought BACK into the competition and will face off against the winner of Friendly Fires and I Was Totally Destroying It!

Shoul dbe interesting.