Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Return of Amazon Amy

It is appropriate that my last post was about the cheesy-deliciousness that was Friday's breakfast, because I suffered all the more for it on Saturday morning.

I got to the gym at 9:40, about ten minutes later than I should have. Amy had three other people working through their rotation. I jumped on the treadmill and walked for 5 minutes to warm up, then she came to collect me with her ridiculous smile and bubbly attitude.
"Ready?!" 
I wanted to say "No, of course not. I want to go back to bed. I feel horrible and I don't like you." But I forced a smile and followed her to the weights.

She put me through a pretty good rotation and I was keeping up. I glanced at the clock and saw it was almost 10 am, so I figured I had one more rotation left.

Nope.

She calls out to everyone to grab their things and follow her outside. Oh sweet brown, what are we in for? We walk outside and then left, into the newly expanded part of the gym I had not seen. Apparently in the three weeks since I've worked out, they've taken over more of the building. A big open space with kettle balls, Bosu, rope things, I don't even know the names for what I'm looking at.

There are five of us and she gets us started on what I will call "the cranker" - in which you are peddling with your arms instead of legs. Then we are doing some exercise she calls a Turkish something or other and the sweat is pouring off me. Then 8 count body builders. I believe this is about the time that I screamed out, "I hate you Amy!" and she just laughed and laughed; I'd say maniacally laughed, now that I think about it. Then Bosum jumps. Moving over to squats with a kettle ball... a horrible full body exercise where I can literally see the sweat impression left on the mat from my back and butt. Ewwwe.

Did I mention that I'm the worst one in the group? (Well of course, I haven't worked out in three weeks.) There's a 40-somemthing gal with red hair who is wearing weight gloves; her name is Diane but everyone calls her Red. Then a 50-something dude with super-toned muscles and just a bit of a belly; he's loud and makes a lot of noise when he's exerting energy. A 60-something dude that is fit and spry. A 20-something Asian woman that I have no idea why she is there becuase she's got a great body. And then me... Ms. Chubbs McChubberson.

Long story short (too late) We weren't done until 11 am. So I got an intense 1 1/2 hour long workout.   As I was stumbling out of the building, Red asked me "So we going to see you again next Saturday?"

Yup. I'll be there.

No comments: