Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Crapshoot Experiment

The previous post got me thinking. If you started with "Eddie Izzard" on Wikipedia and kept hitting the first blue link within the topic and ended up with "Academic Discipline" twice, is it possible that any word would end up back in the same place?

Not likely, but I decided to try an experiment with an unbiased word. Thanks to my gal Erin Beth for responding so quickly to my Facebook posting, the selected word was "crapshoot".  (Erin happens to be ridiculously awesome and I wish we lived in the same city because I'm sure that we would get together on Tuesday nights to watch Tosh.0 or Chopped and drink copious amounts of wine and be the power of awesome squared.)

So here goes.
Crapshoot.  (Oh Wiki, you don't recognize it as a word and re-direct me to Craps. Bad wiki!)
Craps
Dice game
Games
Playing
Psychology (appropriate since Erin is a Social Worker who deals with Psychology.)
Mind
Cognition
Science
Latin
Italic languages
Indo-European (aha! it's going to end up in the same place! I can feel it!)
Language families
descent
linguistics
Human
taxonomy
ACADEMIC (MOTHER GOOSING) DISCIPLINE!

Holy crumbcake! It did it again!
I gotta test another word!
Thanks to Lisa & Darcey (not sure which one posted since they share a FB account) I'm trying "quest".

Quest
Mythology
Comparative mythology
(back to myths)
Inca mythology
Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire
Spanish colonization of the Americas
Spanish Empire
Spain
Sovereign state
State
Centralisation
location
geography
science
latin...

IT DID IT AGAIN!!!

Once you get to science and latin, it will auto go to "Academic Discipline".  And that goes to college, which will go back in a loop to latin.

Try it. I've done it three times know. I bet that if you started with "kimono" or "duck hearts" you're still going to end up at the same place.

*head explodes on a miniature scale*























No comments: