Thursday, March 13, 2014

SXSW BBN R6 - Royal Teeth vs. Quiet Company

Posting early this Thursday morning as I've taken Hurricane Glo to the airport to make a 5:30 am flight home. With the little bit of coffee in my system I'm going to see how many more initial rounds I can get through this morning before power napping to begin the day anew.

Royal Teeth
Pop
"Wild"
This is the first song in the competition that has honestly made me listen to it it numerous times and put on my iTunes future purchase list. The chorus "I believe that I can make you scream for me... Oo Oo Oo Oo Oo, Ahhh." is lovely, pretty, haunting and makes the heart melt. There's a weird breakdown of instruments towards the end; it's chaotic but goes with the feeling and intent of the song. Perhaps I shouldn't blog and review at 5:30 in the morning as I cannot describe adequately my enjoyment of this.
Give it a listen and let me know if you agree. The band is pretty, which doesn't hurt.
)

Quiet Company
Alternative
"The Biblical Sense of the Word"
Ben Folds immediately came to mind.  The vocalist, the piano, the slow time signature and transition between stanzas. It's unfortunate that Quiet Company had to compete against Royal Teeth, likely they would have beaten another band. I'm also reminded of Toad the Wet Sprocket and Glen Philips. Have you heard "Men Just Leave"? It's a good jam.
)

No need for further discussion. Royal Teeth take this round.

No comments: