Tuesday, March 11, 2014

SXSW BEST BAND NAME - Let the competition begin!

Once again, I will NOT be attending SXSW in Austin and seeing the amazing bands I've been wanting to see live - especially Seryn.

To remedy this and keep myself entertained, I will once again conduct a non-scientific and completely biased competition to determine the best band name performing over the next few days. How do I do this? Glad you asked.

I went through the list of bands performing that are listed on the SXSW site, A through Z. Then, I selected the band name that sounded the most interesting, made me chuckle, or generally sounded off the wall. Why? Well, why not. My rules. This year, I am selecting a name from each letter of the alphabet. (Sorry, Dr. Awkward. So close to making the cut!)

From there, I will build out a bracket which places the bands against each other for rounds of competition. I listen to a handful of songs by the band (ones that I can find online) and determine which band's music I prefer. The band with better music gets to move on until we have a final winner. Remember the winner a few years ago? Ham Sandwich. 

I am not allowed to chose a band name that I have heard of before, nor can I choose what is clearly one person performing or a comedy act. So with that, here are the bands that are up for the win!

Air Traffic Controller
Bearcubbin'!
Cello Fury
Dinner And a Suit
East Cameron Folklore
Foxboro Hot Tubs
Ghostpizza
The Harpoonist & the Axe Murderer
In-Flight Safety
Jam Jam
Kid Congo & The Pink Monkey Birds
Landlady
Manic Sheep
Not In The Face
OK SWEETHEART
Paranoid Castle
Quiet Company
Royal Teeth
Swamp Cabbage
Tacocat
The Unlikely Candidates
Volcanos On Lo
Wakey!Wakey!
X
Yuppie Pricks
Zeds Dead

Bracket forthcoming. Let the competition begin!

1 comment:

John said...

This is even better than the other bracket that comes out this year. I am pinning my hopes on Swamp Cabbage!